Monday, February 14, 2011

YAY!!!!!!!.........again

I'm the kind of girl who, if I ever got remarried (don't worry, honey, and in-laws, I'm not hinting at anything, it's purely hypothetical) I wouldn't wear white again. I'm not judging those who do, it doesn't bother me at all when others wear white the second time around, that just wouldn't be me. So why am I talking about wearing white a second time? Because in a way I feel like that's what I'm about to do in this post and it makes me feel a little awkward.

You see, I have an agent! I'm so excited about this. More than excited! Over the moon! In fact, I got two offers. Two agents loved my book. And I loved both these agents. Really. Loved. They are both amazing, talented, well-known agents. This was the hardest decision since the See's Candy lady asked me which truffle I wanted to sample. "You mean I have to pick?!?"

Again, what does this have to do with remarriages and wedding dresses? Well, for those of you who have followed my journey for the last few years, you may remember I've had an agent before. Maybe many of you even remember the day my agent's name mysteriously disappeared off my 'about me' section about a year ago with no explanation whatsoever. I will attempt to explain a little bit without disclosing too much personal info because I want to respect her privacy. To make a long story short, she decided to take a big step back from the YA market so we mutually parted ways. I still appreciate all the help and support she gave me and have nothing but good feelings towards her.

So that's where the, 'I feel like I've done this celebration before' attitude came in. I thought to myself (and now write out loud) what gives me the right to scream from the rooftops again? I had to be honest with myself about why I didn't feel like I was allowed to celebrate this major accomplishment. I came to a few (kind of hard to realize) conclusions.

One, I was embarrassed to admit my first attempt to put one of my works into the world failed. It made me feel like a failure, like I had done something wrong. Two, it was a very hard, depressing part of my journey that I kind of just wanted to forget happened at all. So as I was getting ready to announce my very happy news today, and realized these things, I hesitated. I told myself I didn't need to make this announcement at all. And then I got sad. I got sad that I didn't want to share it.

So what changed? Why did I decide to make a big announcement ("big" being a relative term because, hello, this is my blog we're talking about here not Dateline)?

Well, one, because I love my agent and think she deserves to be recognized. But also, because every success and step in this difficult journey to publication should be celebrated! There's too much heartache in this industry to hide the happy moments that make it all worth it! (Yes, I really am screaming these things, so the exclamation points are justified.)

So watch out, people, because not only am I putting on a white dress, but I'm going to have an over-the-top cake and throw a bouquet as I announce that me and MICHELLE WOLFSON (of Wolfson Literary) tied the knot!

54 comments:

  1. Shout it from the rooftops!! This is great news!! And especially exciting that you had two offers!! You MUST share things like this with us because this is where most of us are trying to get, and we need to be reminded that it's POSSIBLE and that it DOES HAPPEN!! So a big SQUEE for you!!
    So sorry the first agent taking a step back left you feeling low, but I believe there is a reason for everything, and perhaps your new agent was the one meant for you all along :)
    :::reaches hands up to catch that bouquet:::

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is totally exciting and Michelle Wolfson, Wow, that just adds to the excitement. Can't wait to see your name on a book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kristin — shout it from the rooftops!

    Congratulations!! TWO AGENTS. And Michelle! I'm so happy for you! I wish you the best with this fresh start. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one deserves to be published more than you, Kasie, so the first situation made me sad. Now is your time and I'm so happy for you.

    White looks lovely on you, wear it proudly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear Michelle Wolfson is a freakishly awesome agent. Can't remember who told me...

    YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!!!!
    You KNOW (as does everyone in my life) how incredibly excited I am to be working with you, Kasie. And yes, I believe it's important to celebrate the successes along this roller coaster ride. But who doesn't love roller coasters??
    So glad we're in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! I'm sure you'll both be very happy together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love hearing the good news of fellow writers, so had to pop over upon reading Natalie's tweet. Congratulations! Wishing you well for the next step~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!! So incredibly happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOOOOO!!!

    So so happy for you, Kasie! And I'm so excited to Par-TAY and celebrate :) !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know how excited I am, and I am GLAD you are celebrating because it definitely merits it! I know how you feel though. Oh, do I know.

    Here's to hoping the second time is a the charm, because I'm not sure I can make it to three! Ack.

    Love ya:P

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONGRATS KASIE! That is so awesome! (And I had the same thing happen to me. Had one agent before...recently got a new one!) CELEBRATE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sooooo fabulous! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

    —Kayla Olson

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very awesome. You should shout it from the rooftops. That means that more than one agent liked your work - so it must be good.
    I was confused when I saw on twitter that you had an agent, because I did remember you had an agent before or at least I thought you did.
    Thanks for sharing your story - it lets us know that the journey isn't always easy, but it is worth it. Congratulations!! Again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are too few celebratory moments in life to let even one pass by uncelebrated. Congratulations. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry that comment from 't' is from me - i logged into the wrong account.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! The exclamation points, the cake, and everything are all totally justified! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY! Congrats! Michelle freakin rocks! You should NEVER be embarrassed about something a lot of writers may never accomplish (getting an agent...losing said agent).

    And on another note, I wore BLACK in my 2nd wedding:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was wondering what happened to your other agent... I'm so happy for you! Michelle is so nice and sweet! (I had a few conversations with her when she was going over my book.) She ultimately passed, but she was SO nice! :) Thank you for sharing your story as well. Sometimes bad things come before the good, and I'm so excited for you!! :D Can't wait to see your books in print!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want some of the wedding cake. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you! !!!!!!! (here's some of the exclamation points you left out of your post.)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats, Kasie! That's so very exciting! You deserve the best, and I hear wonderful things about Michelle.

    She has a nice name, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations, Kasie. Definitely worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You shout it, girl! You deserve to. And you're absolutely right, we need to celebrate ALL of the wins. Congrats! Nice catch on that agent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! And welcome to the Wolf Pack. You're going to love Michelle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, everyone!! I love seeing all your pretty faces in my comments section!

    Linda, I don't know that I look great in white, but I'm wearing it proudly.

    Linda G, (apparently I'm only giving the linda's on the list a personal response today) I already do love her! It's good to meet you and thanks for the welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats on becoming a member of the Wolf pack! And you have EVERY right to celebrate! :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congrat-FREAKING-lations!!! :D
    I'm so very happy for your news. Welcome to The Pack! :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. Whoa there Nellie, this isn't about ducks is it? This is better than ducks, by far. (though duckie is still high up there). Congratulations. I always knew you would get an agent (or two).

    ReplyDelete
  29. oo,oo *raises hand and jumps up and down* can I be the maid of honor?!! :) I'll be celebrating in spirit with you this weekend. I always knew you were amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congratulations! And Michelle Wolfson...she's awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Tricia, thanks, and sorry, I didn't answer your yesterday question. No, you shouldn't know who Jacob and Renesmee are. :) (Twilight stuff)

    Candi, of course!!

    Thanks, Monica, happy to be part of the pack.

    And thanks so much, Tina and Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so excited for you. And you're not alone. One of my good friends changed agents after three of her books were published. It happens, and I think sometimes it happens for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  33. *scrambles for bouquet* Congrats! I'm so happy and excited for you! You must have a lot of self-control, being able to write such a coherent post like this.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very excited for you! I love your statement about how we need to celebrate all of the win because there are so many heartbreaking moments in this industry- for sure! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats!!! You should totally celebrate it because it is no less amazing the second time around!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm so glad you get to post about this now! You know how excited I am for you, Kasie. You earned this. You deserve Michelle and all the great things that come with her. Love you, girl. I couldn't be more happy for you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  37. Congratulations! Well chosen, although how lovely for you that you got to pick between two wonderful agents.

    Wow!

    All good news deserves a celebration!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  38. Kasie, I'm so happy for you! I didn't realize you were agent-less for a while. And, Michelle Wolfson? Rock star. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks, again, everyone. I'm glad I decided to celebrate with you all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. lol I somehow changed my profile name and though today it was all 'about me' I really don't think that it is an appropriate title to be using around the blogosphere. Now I must go around and see where else I dropped it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Congrats! That's fantastic news.

    Lynnette Labelle
    www.lynnettelabelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  42. I popped over here from Natalie Whipple's blog.

    Congrats on the announcement - you've got every reason to scream it from the rooftops, cheesy 80's teen-movie style. (boombox optional)

    Here's hoping things only go up and up from here on out.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. i, too, like josin, came here from natalie's blog. and glad i did, cause youve got a really nice blog!
    anyhoo, CONGRATS TO YOU! all the best in agentdom!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations Kasie! I hope you find lots of happiness and success!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congratulations, Kasie! I'm on agent number two as well--here's hoping for great successes the second time around!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Congratulations! This is great news!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Aw! YAY!!! I'm so incredibly excited for you, Kasie!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Kasie--just saw your good news. Congrats to you!!!! PS. The new pic of you is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  49. This is Awesome news. So excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yay! Good for you.

    I didn't know you had an agent before. We should have talked more. I broke up with my agent a few years ago.

    Totally celebrate the happy moments. You deserve them. :)

    ReplyDelete