Monday, March 1, 2010

Maddeningly Unhelpful Advice-Picking Friends

When picking friends it is important to pick ones that will compliment your lifestyle and add to your overall sense of happiness and well being. For example, you may find yourself gravitating towards those people who share some of the same loves as you. Or you may find friends who have the same sense of adventure you do. Or perhaps, like me, you may find yourself drawn to people who are just as good at making fools of themselves as you are. If you are in the habit of making a fool of yourself (like me), it is my advice to you to have at least one good friend who shares this same habit. Take the following story as an important lesson as to why it is so important:

Friday morning I woke up tired and groggy (which is very unusual for me. Normally I wake up ready to start the day with a smile on my face and....okay, not true, groggy is my normal state of being before 11am). I rolled out of bed and headed downstairs to make the kids' lunches for school. I got about halfway down the 15 steps and my foot hit the edge of the stair wrong. I went sliding down the rest of the stairs on my back, uselessly grasping for a hold on anything to stop myself. (This post could've very well been advice on the importance of using handrails, but I thought that would've been entirely too helpful.)

"Uh, are you okay, mom?" my daughter asked when the noise of my descent stopped and a small wimpering moan (coming from me) filled the air.

"Yeah, I'm okay."

As soon as she heard that I was fine, she laughed (which I deserved, I always laugh when my children receive minor injuries). Then she retold the story to her sisters and dad when he got home. It was a morning full of laughing at mom. Ha, ha, so funny.

Well, I was feeling pretty stupid and clumsy and foolish. That was, until I talked to my friend, Jenn, later that morning and she told me a story that made me feel infinitely better about myself. Jenn's experience at the gym. Go and read it. It's so funny. So, now you see how important it is to make friends who are equally as accident/foolish prone as you are. Find your weakness and find a friend to match it. :) You will feel so much better about yourself.

I'm just teasing you, Jenn. You know I love you. You are full of awesomeness. Thanks for making me laugh all weekend.

15 comments:

  1. LO, Kasie. Can I just say how honored I am to be part of your MHE Monday post? True, it refers to my own foolishness and ridiculous amount of clums-ability, but I clearly have no sense of self-preservation or a need to save face since I put my story on the blog for the world's perusal. I just hope everyone sees I was clearly the innocent victim here and learns from me.

    If you see a Gold's Gym in a city referred to as A.F.--RUN!! It will suck the dignity right out of you. You have been warned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe about Jenn's post! I laughed till I cried! And your post is pretty great too. Good point about friends. I only have friends who make me feel better about myself. *wink*

    I'm still giggling about Jenn. She was brave to post about that! And you, too, about the stairs. I've done that before...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friends are awesome and I'm not sure which story had me chuckling more. Stair falling or wrong bathroom since I've done both and neither are funny at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've so done that on the stairs. I'm especially good at falling up them. Jenn's story is hilarious. She was so brave to share. I've done that before too. Not at the gym, but still. We make great friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are okay. I fell down the stairs from the top, and sublocated my shoulder. Not funny. I was so tramautized that the smallest thing would bring tears to my eyes for the next two days. And yes, Jenn's story was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mean, mean family. You should punish them. No dinner for a month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ROFL! I read Jenn's post earlier and was just getting over the giggles when I got to yours. Now my side aches. Thanks for making my day ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's sweet that your daughter asked if you were okay before she started laughing. I love having friends who provide me with constant entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you weren't hurt. And I already read Jenn's post. So Now i will go laugh and pretend that it isn't at you. (I wouldn't want you to feel bad about yourselves).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenn's post was pretty funny, I won't lie. ;)

    Sorry you fell. I hope you're doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you're okay. And Jenn does have a great gym story. You two be careful hangin' out together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm prone to accidents and embarrassing moments as well. They happen so often I just laugh over them and forget them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I came across your blog and just had to comment. I find myself in situations like that all the time. Good to know I'm not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you are o.k. I definately agree with you about finding friends that match your faults. So true. I will read Jenn's trip to the gym.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dude, I'm sorry you fell down the steps! And Jenn's story was pretty funny too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete